Friday 1 March 2013

Quotes from Harry Potter

I can sense the excitement of the HP fans rising. :-) It's been a long time ( a year, I think! ) since I read a Harry Potter book. The impact of these books on millions of people is plainly obvious when I try to recollect quotes by some of the memorable characters.

Disclaimer: This post is not, and can never be a summary of the awesomeness of Harry Potter. This is just a small attempt to keep up the HP mania!


Harry Potter

"You can't give a Dementor the old one-two!"

"Why were you lurking under our window?"
"Yes -- yes, good point, Petunia! What were you doing under our windows, boy?"
"Listening to the news," said Harry in a resigned voice.
His aunt and uncle exchanged looks of outrage.
"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see," said Harry.

"There's no need to call me sir Professor."

"He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

"Dumbledore's man through and through," said Harry. "That's right."

Ron Weasley

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

"Accio Brain!"

"Did I tell you I've invented a broomstick that'll reach Jupiter?"

"You need your inner eye tested if you ask me."

"Oy, pea-brain!"

"IF WE DIE FOR THEM, I'LL KILL YOU HARRY!"

“"That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was."

"We're with you whatever happens."

Hermione Granger

"All those poor elves I haven't set free yet, having to stay over during Christmas because there aren't enough hats!" 

"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!" 

"I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed - or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed." 

"You said to us once before," said Hermione quietly, "that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?" 

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent." 

Sirius Black

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." 

"Reading between the lines, I’d say she thinks you’re a bit conceited, mate." 

"Keep muttering and I will be a murderer!" 

"If you made a better rat than a human, that's not much to boast about." 

Albus Dumbledore

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." 

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" 

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." 

"--yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often. Best to say nothing at all, my dear man."

"I would assume that you were going to offer me refreshment, but the evidence so far suggests that that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness." 

"There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." 

Neville Longbottom

"Gran, I've lost my toad again."

"R-r-riddikulus!"

"STUBEFY!" shouted Neville, wheeling around and waving Hermione's wand at the oncoming Death Eaters. "STUBEFY, STUBEFY!"

Severus Snape


"DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!"

 "Oh, very good," interrupted Snape, his lip curling. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'"

"You have a habit of turning up in unexpected places, Potter, and you are very rarely there for no good reason."

"Always."


Fred and George Weasley

"We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat!"

"We've got it [ Percy's Head Boy badge]. We're improving it." The badge now read, "Bighead Boy." 

"You're a prefect? Oh Ronnie! That's everyone in the family!" [Molly Weasley]
"What are Fred and I? Next door neighbours?" 

"Make way for the heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through..." 

"We tried to shut him in a pyramid, but Mum spotted us." 

"I'm holey"

Luna Lovegood

"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" 

"I'll distract them all," she said. "Use your Cloak." And before he [Harry] could say a word, she had cried, "Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" and pointed out the window. 

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." 

"I've been able to see them ever since my first year here. They've always pulled the carriages. Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am." 

Professor McGonagall

"Are you quite sure you wouldn't like a cough drop, Dolores?" 

"I doubt it will make much of a difference," said Professor McGonagall coldly, "unless a mad axe-man is waiting outside the doors to slaughter the first into the entrance hall." 

"Ah, of course. There is no need to tell me any more, Ms. Granger. Which one of you will be dying this year?" 

"It unscrews the other way." 

"I should have made my meaning plainer," said Professor McGonagall, turning at last to look at Umbridge directly in the eyes. "He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher." 

"Have a biscuit, Potter."




Aw! I must stop now. Or I'd end up writing the whole book. Hope this made your HP day. Nox :-)





4 comments:

  1. My personal favorites are the "fred, george weasley" and "Sirius Black" quotes :D . Awesome ones! Total "lumos" to my day ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, personally Snape's and McGonagalls were my favourites!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis